Home insurance carriers recommend creating and maintaining a home inventory for the purpose of documentation of your belongings. If something were to happen to your home today, would you be able to account for all of your belongings to report to the insurance company? That's not likely. But if you have an up-to-date home inventory, this is a good tool to help verify the ownership of your lost belongings. To create one, consider these tips.
- Realize the importance of having an accurate home inventory. It can help you determine how much home insurance to purchase based on the overall value of your assets. It can also help to speed up the claims process and verify losses for tax reporting needs.
- Check out an inventory app. If you are a smartphone user, you may find the easiest way to create an inventory is with the use of an inventory app. Find one compatible with your phone to download.
- Invest in a good camera. For those who would rather take photos of items, you can do so using a quality camera. Back these photos up on more than one file and drive and store them outside of the home.
- Use the Internet to help you. You can use a cloud-based system to store either your photos or a spreadsheet of your information. The benefit in using a cloud-based system is that you don't have to worry about losing access to it since it's all online.
- Simply use a notebook. The simplest way for those who want a low-tech solution is to jot down your information on a piece of paper and then store this in a safety deposit box.
Be sure to record each item's name and serial number when possible. A description, the purchase data and the estimated value of each item is also valuable. With this information in hand, you'll be able to safely keep track of what you own. Be sure to update your list as you purchase belongings as well. Though the initial first time takes some careful planning and numerous hours, it will be worthwhile and remains easy to maintain after that point.
Protect your belongings today. Call CSP Insurance Services at (843) 519-2557 for more information on Florence SC home insurance.
Have you ever made a home inventory? Feel free to share your experiences and any tips you may have in the comments section below.